In 1829, Nankin Township or simply Nankin, was created from a split of Bucklin Township. Named after Nanking, China, Nankin's border were Joy Road to the north, Van Born Road to the south, Hannan Road to the west and Inkster Road to the east. Then through the years as local cities incorporated around the edge of Nankin, it lost its rectangular shape. Finally, in 1966 the remaining residents of Nankin voted to incorporate Nankin Township. Then a few weeks later they voted to name their new city Westland. There is a smattering of references to Nankin throughout the city most notably Nankin Mills but many residents under the age of 60 may not know the significance of the name: Nankin.
Nankin is all around us!